Lollipop Tree

8.21.2006

oh yeah

“"I wonder what Piglet is doing," thought Pooh.
"I wish I were there to be doing it, too."

- Winnie the Pooh

So I went to a wedding this weekend in Birmingham. It was soooo much fun. A good taste of things to come because it was all our best family friends celebrating like it was 1999! Let’s just say the “Pensacola People” got many shoutouts (with totally justified reason) and kept the partay going.

So my parents go up to the wedding on Thursday night, but I have to stay behind and go to work for a ½ day until nooner on Friday. So Friday afternoon, I drive to my sissy poo’s house and we take off from there. We arrive in hilly b-ham just in time to freshen up and leave for the rehearsal dinner at the Mt. Brook Country Club. So beautiful. Of course the roads in b-town SUCK and the exits coming from one direction are nowhere close to the exit/street names coming from another, so we get lost. But we did arrive eventually to a beautifully candlelit clubhouse. What a nice ambience! Turns out, however, that the power is just out and the room is getting hotter by the second as there are tons of people in the room that is lit by fire and we are all blowing a lot of hot air. Oh yeah, and the food wasn’t finished cooking when said power failed us. But the bar was stocked and there were plenty of friends to keep the party lively! When we finally sat down for the dinner it was indeed delish and the company was splendid. Oh yeah, and the centerpieces for the tables were FABULOUS! I could def gerry-rig me some of those…basically large globes with floating gerber daisies and lilies wrapped inside them resting on a lit box so they emanated a really cool glow. Very neato. All lighting in my future house will be accomplished using this maneuver (jk winky). Anyways, the toasts went a little long, but then we realized that they were trying to stall because the slide show wasn’t working. They finally gave up and decided to play it the next day during the reception.

Saturday was filled with shopping at the Summit (yaaaay fabulous sales!) and the Galleria and then preparing for the wedding (which was a 6p and cocktail attire…whoa nelly belly! Of course, my sister didn’t pack ANYTHING appropriate to wear so we def had to find stuff for her to wear-gorgy black dress…yaaaay! Oh yeah, and Jeremy left his blazer at home so we had to find one of those too—oh how those 2 are made for each other!). I groaned a little bit when we read that the ceremony was at the “Church of the Advent,” not that anyone has anything against a BEE-YOU-TEE-FULL catholic church, but a full mass during the ceremony? That’s a little long. Of course, we were very pleasantly surprised to pull up to an Episcopal church. Ceremony was so so so so nice. Carey (the bride) had quite possibly the longest veil I HAVE EVER SEEN. It was like, 10 feet long. I kind of wonder how she kept her head straight. It actually looked like she had to concentrate on it at some points. 3 adorable triplet boys were sitting in front of us and they also provided much entertainment throughout the ceremony. And laney (one of the flower girls-4 years old) was hilarious as she attempted to regather petals to throw on her way out, all the while spilling those she had acquired out of her basket each time she bent down.

So, my favorite thing to do at a wedding is watch the groom’s face as the bride appears and walks down the aisle. it was really neat to watch Nick, a boy I have pretty much known my whole life, get this look of sheer delight and joy and goofy puppy love over his whole face when he saw his bride. So cool. He couldn’t stop smiling. And neither could she of course. Carey was given away by her first cousin and best childhood friend, which was pretty interesting, and her mommy was wearing a quite formal lilac-y shimmery strapless gown with about 3 million ruffles. Whoa. Another part of the ceremony that I absolutely ADORED was the ringing church bells directly following the completion of the nuptials. Not too many churches have real bells these days, but I love love love when they do and when they ring them following a ceremony. So that was pretty. We found the country club quite easily this time around and thus began the festivities. Hello fried mashed potatoes, a grits bar, asparagus rolls, raspberries the size of my head, and all around good food. What was really nice about the venue is that the reception spanned like 6 rooms (2 on the end with food, a dancing hall, the cake room—yummy caramel and red velvet for the groom’s and some white cake for the bride’s) and 2 rooms dedicated just to bars. Yeah, there were like7 bars that never went dry or looked like they were running out and NO lines. Thus, there were quite a few drunk people. And I loved how those people who didn’t want to dance weren’t right there with all the action and could just sit in a different, more private room at a table or chat outside with friends. Anways, at about 9:30 all the Pensacolians decided it was time to whoop it up and boy did we have a BLAST leading the dance party. We had the dance-thru line and shook shook shook the house down. I CAN’T WAIT for the Greenhut nuptials in October because all the same people will be there and it will definitely be a time and a half. I have never had quite that good of a time at a wedding. Morgan’s wedding was right up there, but this one was fun because of the craziness of the adults and the late hour. Got back to the hotel around 11:45 and hit the hay on my loverly flat pull-out bed mattress.

Woke up early Sunday morning, ate a little grub, and headed home. I love lazy Sundays, and this one did not disappoint. Ate a mid-afternoon meal at Macaroni Grille and spent some QT on the phone with BOY. We needed it. And we loved it. And I am most definitely counting down the hours/minutes/seconds until I get up there and see him! Yaaaaay!

Other randar stuff coursing through my mind:
1. I am hungry. Like STARVING.
2. I write my blog in a word document at work and then just copy and paste it into blogger, and I am now on page 80 of the document.
3. this blog took a while to write, so my lunch took care of number one.
4. work is a little slow this week. Waiting on stuff from other people is never fun. Or busy. So here I sit.
5. working on planning and fabulous weekend with the girlies in November; currently deciding whether we shall convene at the beach or in NYC. Updates to come.
6. wearing my ADORABLE new lilly skirt (hot pink lace with flowers…bought on MAJOR sale at Parisian’s this weekend).
7. contemplating my next hair cut/color scheme. I am thinking more razor cut and bringing my streaks back.
8. thinking I am going to start training for triathlons…any thoughts? The running part will be the toughest for me.
9. my boss shooed me back to my office just a few minutes ago because I was talking too animatedly about the events of the past weekend. He is so funny.
10. macaroni grill’s make your own pasta is ingenious. Yesterday, I decided to concoct a pasta dish with whole wheat penne, tomato cream sauce, sundried tomatoes, artichokes, garlic, chicken, and spinach. I ate the 2nd ½ of the deliciousness today. Yummeroo.
11. I have a newfound appreciate for chocolate. I used to crave it about once a month, but now I like it a bit more often than that. like everyday.

No comments: