I watched Shopgirl last night with my mother, expecting a light-hearted comedic romance. Um…not so much. The movie is pretty heavy. I appreciated the acting, which was stellar from all 3 main players (Claire Danes, Steve Martin, Jason Schwartzman), but the movie moved slowly and made me a little sad actually.
Mirabelle (Danes) is a small town girl from VT who moves to LA with great aspirations of making it big as an artist. She is depressed and alone in this huge city (and not selling much artwork, but instead is bored behind the glove counter at Saks), and looking for companionship, or even love. So she meets Schwartzman’s character, who is hilary, and they hook up, just because she needs some (we ALL know how that feels!) and he leaves for a while. Then she meets Ray (Martin) and starts a little thingieroo up with him. It’s casual, and he tells her from the start that he doesn’t want anything serious. And he treats her wonderfully in many regards (like takes her fun places and pampers her), but like crap in all the important areas (he is emotionally detached, sleeps with someone else, and never returns her love). So she gets hurt and then reunites with Schwartzman and ends up with him and as a successful artist in the end.
Steve Martin closes the movie narrating that Mirabelle’s love for Schwartzman was greater because it was a love returned. And he’s definitely right…
Anyways, it’s an interesting movie, but it really really really made me miss BOY a lot. Like painfully so. Like teary-eyed at the end cuddling scene, because I want someone to cuddle with. Maybe I shouldn’t watch slightly sad chick flicks/romantic movies while he’s out of commission.
Work is crazy today, and I have about a gabillion things to do this afternoon… AAAAHHH! I love it; I feel so productive! Woot woot!
No comments:
Post a Comment