I am at a crossroads. I am straddling the proverbial fence. “Walking the line,” if you will. You see, I don’t know what to do about the “Relationship Status” box on my Facebook profile. It still stays single, although I clearly am not. But I technically am? BOY’s still says single too. I don’t want to jump to any conclusions, doom the ‘relationship,’ or have to link up to his profile (that might be scary for him AND me), but I am technically not single (in that I certainly am not dating, nor wanting to date, anyone else) AAAAAAAAAAH! What to do? What to do?
Another thought: it’s strange how when you are so focused on something, you often can’t see or consider anything else (how ambiguously worded is that statement? I am going with “VERY VERY”). And then something happens that forces you to look around and you realize that what had been your focus, priority, or goal for so long isn’t even what you want anymore. CASE(s) IN POINT (I use a parenthetical ‘s’ here because I have 2 examples): 1. my senior year, when I had my whole career and life planned out (remember, grad school-with a possible year off prior to work for sorority-to get my PhD in audiology in 4 years and be an audiologist at a school for the deaf) and my sister asked me if I actually wanted to be an audiologist…hmmmm. That made me think. The vein of audiology I wanted to pursue is pretty much nonexistent (you know, like 50 jobs exist nationwide) and, once I thought about it, I wasn’t really sure that is what I really wanted to be. So I researched my options. They abounded. And I found ones I was genuinely SUPER EXCITED about. More excited than I was to check old people’s hearing and change hearing aid batteries for the rest of my life. 2. my friend, who has had a tough year in every aspect of her life. Family trauma, woes with boys, craziness in professional school. This friend is my ‘planner.’ She was the graduation coordinator for all of my closest friends’ families during our graduation weekend from college. We just followed her. Planning is pretty much her spiritual gift. My friends and I all learned very quickly that we just needed to left her take an event and run with it…plan it away…or she would drive us, and herself, crazy. Anyways…she had HER whole life planned out just as I did, but extraordinary events have caused her to take a step back from her stringent design for her life and reevaluate herself and her priorities. And she has come to the same conclusion as I. We have become different people since we first formed our plans. But they didn’t necessarily change with us; we just went along with the steps almost blindly and eventually (thank GOD!) something knocked us flat on our faces and we got up with a new outlook. She is exploring opportunities that she NEVER would have considered before. She is excited about the new endeavors she might pursue. And, even though she might proceed with her original plan, at least if she does it will be a choice made after a lot of thought and research and time thinking about her future…and it’ll be the right choice, not just the natural one, or the one that she has always planned…
1 comment:
i think that's the firm....about a law firm (one YOU are prob joining...)
Post a Comment